Cheryl
7th October
Libra
Pharmacist =)

Tagboard

Credits

"The skies above..." Version 1.01 is designed & coded by Princessa at Sabrina.SG.


* Best viewed with FireFox at 1024 x 768.
 

Cheryl - Dolphin Lover

Sunday, August 05, 2007

SGH

havent been blogging since I came back, other than posting pictures and pictures and pictures. probably cause i am kinda lazy to type. haha.

have been working at SGH for the past week. some of my fellow classmates there say I am crazy sometimes, because I am doing this voluntarily, without any pay, and the hours I am clocking are not even counted for my pre-reg attachment. well I did not mind because I wanted to be exposed to local hospital environment. after all, graduation is just one year away, and I want to know which area I want to go into after graduation.

being with Dr Camilia Wong for the 1st 2 days was kinda stressful. she was sort of my preceptor because she helped to arrange my schedule for the week. she was kind and nice, as in she found out which areas I havent done in US and arranged for me to go into those areas. but she had quite high expectations, as in she will keep asking questions that I never even thought of before. but it was a good learning experience with her.

for the 1st day, i went for hospital rounds with her at Neurosurgical ICU because she specialises in Neurology. and she asked me to look up a case and present to her in the afternoon. omg. 1st day and she expected me to present a case, and an ICU case somemore. never presented a case before, and she taught me how to do it, and she asked alot of questions that I will have never asked myself. so when i went there for the 2nd day and she asked me to prepare 2 cases in the general neurosurgery ward, I was prepared and tried to guess questions that she will ask, so that I can have answers ready. and it was much better, I hoped.

for the next 2 days, went to a satellite pharmacy in a normal ward. went for ward rounds in the Haematology ward, and observed what the pharmacist does in the ward. helped to pack medication for the discharged patients and for doctors orders. followed the Pharmacy technicians around sometimes to see what they do. also went to a Store briefing to see how SGH classifies, purchases and records their drug usage. its quite complex, but what do i expect. haha. SGH is so big. hee

spent Friday in the outpatient pharmacy. this was a area I never even touched in the US. other than visiting an outpatient pharmacy. so it was an eye-opener. because they have so many prescriptions coming in. its just a mad rush at times, but luckily they are more organised than the satellite pharmacy, which makes it easier to look for drugs. u dun need to remember where the drugs were. observed how the pharmacists do dispensing too. think they have to be quite articulate and also, know more languages. maybe i should go pick up cantonese and malay, even though i learnt bahasa indonesia before. but i think i forgot most of it le. haha.

on Saturday, went to the asthma clinic in SGH. its held every Saturday, and patients are referred to these clinic by the GPs. its quite cool at the clinic, because you have more time to spend with each patient as compared to the outpatient counter. mainly, they educate the patients about asthma, like the allergens and what asthma is. they also teach them the proper inhaler technique, and give them a plan to follow if their symptoms worsen. learnt more about my own disease. haha. okay i also have asthma. but i don't know much about other asthma medications other than those in my notes. haha.

will be my last day in SGH on monday. will be in the outpatient pharmacy. hopefully i might get to do some dispensing. hehe

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home